Eggplant and Acorn Squash Basil Skillet

I got off work today around 8pm and really had an urge to cook myself a nice, healthy dinner. But I didn't want it to take hours to prepare. So, I came up with this eggplant, acorn squash, and basil skillet.

I also just would like to point out that I have been really bad at cooking eggplant. You think I'm joking? Back in college, I was inspired by California Pizza Kitchen's grilled vegetable salad, and I wanted to make a nice meal for my boyfriend and his friend. Well, let's just say, they immediately spit out the grilled eggplant. No taste, and too mushy. Since then, I've been so nervous to cook eggplant.

...but then my sister (who is not a cook) made us eggplant over Thanksgiving break and it was pretty decent. So I told myself, "if she can do it, I can do it." And so I did it. And you can see how I did it below.


Ingredients:
  • 1 tbsp coconut oil
  • 1 medium-large acorn squash, chopped in large chunks
  • 1/2 medium onion, chopped
  • 1/2 large eggplant, chopped
  • 3-4 leaves of fresh basil
  • 1 can white beans, drained and rinsed
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • pinch truffle salt
  • pinch of pepper
  • optional: walnuts

Instructions:
  1.  On medium heat, put your coconut oil in skillet.
  2. Add your squash chunks, onion, eggplant, basil, garlic, salt, and pepper in skillet and cover in the oil.
  3. Place in 350 degree oven for 20 minutes until eggplant and squash are tender.
  4. Take skillet out, and add beans to the skillet.
  5. Place skillet back into the oven for another 10 or so minutes.
  6. Take skillet out of the oven and add more spices if needed. Add more basil and optional walnuts as well.
See... easy peasy!
Enjoy!

No comments

Post a Comment

© Jillian Does Food
Maira Gall